Friday, October 23, 2009

Ta DAH!

I'm very proud of myself -- I did my very first shot last night. It was a bit like I was standing on the end of the diving board over a very cold pool. I rushed up to the edge a couple of times only to back away, and didn't fall for the "one, two, three... GO" trick that the Boy tried to use, but then I did it and it frankly was not a big deal, although you have to push a bit harder than I expected.

To those of you out there who have done this multiple times and think no more of giving the shots than you do of brushing your teeth, my hat is off to you -- I'm sure you are rolling your eyes at my neophyte whining. But, well, everyone starts somewhere, right?

Comic relief was provided by the Boy, who also played a very helpful quality check, extra set of hands, and cheerleader role:
"The directions say to take a small pinch of skin. Isn't that pinch you have too big? Can you really pinch that much? I mean, that's a really big pinch." Yeah -- that went over well. But then we both cracked up and I just poked it right into that big ol' pinch.

10 comments:

  1. Yay, Congrats! I had the same experience last month for my first set of shots. It took a while to get past the "Why do I want to put a sharp needle in me?!!!!", but you're right, it turned to not be a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! The first one is always the worst. You'll be an old hand at this before you know it (though you hopefully won't have to do it for long).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making it through your first shot! It really does get easier with time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That is a big step. And I think you have a very brave boy to make that kind of comment! :)

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, congratulations! So did the Boy manage to avoid getting a needle 'accidentally' stuck into himself after that comment? If so, clearly the mood swings haven't set in yet... ;¬)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It is hard doing it that first time. Hopefully you'll never get the chance to become a pro at it like some of us who have been doing this for way too long! Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats for shooting yourself up! I still don't have the nerve to do it myself. Good luck with the cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh well done. I found it hard enough using contact lenses for the first time so who knows what I would be like with giving myself shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! The first injection is the worst. Looking forward to following your journey and wishing you all the best with this cycle!

    ReplyDelete