Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The "other son"

So yesterday was Yom Kippur and so the Boy and I spent two days in Connecticut with his parents. I generally don't mind going up there, as I think his parents are generally lovely. But yesterday I had lots of free time to kill since there was no eating, and while I was wandering about, I counted 52 pictures of my brother-in-law, his wife, and their 2 boys (2 yo and 3 months). Just for the sake of full disclosure, this includes their iMac screen saver with 20 pics. But I am not exaggerating -- 52 pictures throughout the house.

I counted exactly 1 picture of their "other son" -- my Boy. It's from when he was 7. And my brother-in-law (his brother) is also in it. No wedding picture from last year, no graduation from high school, college or b-school. Not even the obligatory bar mitzvah photo. Nada.

And on the one hand I'm wondering why I care -- they appear to like me, we see them pretty often, they appear to like my Boy, etc. But on the other hand, it says to me "you aren't really important until you breed. You are just a vehicle to produce grandchildren. Until you reproduce, you are not even worth the cost of the frame."

If we don't have kids in a few years (jesus -- I will be pissed off if that's the case), do you think they'll eventually at least bust out a wedding photo?

In the meantime, I was thinking I could send them screen shots from the u/s of my ovaries -- I have so many of those I could even do a montage of my follicles over time. Maybe the HSG, too? That one is big enough to take up an entire wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment