While I made good on my promise not to run to my room crying, I did have to leap up and start manically doing dishes at one point. I think it was the "should we adopt a baby or get a dog?" from my friend's DH that really pushed me over the edge.
While I had my arms up to my elbows in soapy water scrubbing the hell out of a pot, here's what I imagined yelling at him:
- Are you fucking kidding?
- Do you really equate the two things?
- Do you really think that an adopted child is like a toy that you can acquire?
- At what point do you think this "mystery child" will figure out that they were only acquired to entertain your "real" son? How will that child actually feel? Do you care?
- How do you think that those of us who may use adoption to grow our families for real feel about this question?
- What kind of idiot really are you?
That's about as far as my imaginary rant got before the Boy brought in more dishes and told me to take a couple of deep breaths.
On the up side, turns out that rage is very useful for scrubbing pots. Kitchen was sparkling clean before we went to bed.