Tuesday, April 19, 2011

yeah, but *I* think it's funny


So as it turns out, when you are an infant, people (like your mom) can dress you up in funny outfits and you cannot do a damned thing about it. Except make funny faces and look sort of put out, which is what Mr B resorted to when I put his sunglasses on.

It was bad enough that I insisted on the concert t-shirt that his daddy bought, the one that doesn't have snaps or anything at the neckline. But the glasses? The indignities never end. In fact, I suspect that they are only beginning.

Everything else is going really well. There have been a couple of days where Mr B would not, could not sleep for more than 20 minutes at time between 6am and 8pm, but other than that? It's been really awesome. (But let me not minimize that -- 3 days in a row of no real napping is very stressful -- it means that there is no time to do ANYTHING at all for the entire day. Like eat, or shower, or rest. But we are back in nap land, at least for today, and I am grateful for it.)

And feeding him has reached a decent equilibrium -- I pump and feed him from a bottle and supplement with the anti-reflux formula to help him feel better -- otherwise he has bad reflux 30-60 minues after he eats. It breaks my heart -- he has these little wet hiccups and each one makes him cry this sad, pathetic little cry that says "that hurts, mommy. Please make it stop." And there is nothing to be done except hold him. So preventing it is the key to happiness for both of us.

Do I like pumping? Nope. Do my boobs hurt? Yep. And I get clogged ducts and had a blister thing that I had to tend to with a sterilized needle, but it is OK. Although the needle surgery was really really not fun. Seriously -- needle + nipple? Not awesome. More like something from a bad horror movie. And while I would like to say "never again" I'll do it if necessary, as it did the trick.

But otherwise all is good -- we went on a couple of car rides (which are a big deal, since we don't have a car) and he did great, and he is on a pretty decent night time sleep schedule -- he goes to sleep around 8pm then wakes at 2 and again at 5 and at 8. And the 2pm wakeup is usually only for about 20 minutes or as long as it takes him to eat 3-4 oz and then he falls right back to sleep. It's really not so bad, and since he is bottle fed, my husband usually takes one of the feeds so I can sleep a bit more. Although I still find that I rock myself to sleep more quickly than I rock B into slumber. Probably not exactly the best plan, but the motion is so relaxing!

I ended up sleeping in B's room last night so that my husband could get some sleep before a big meeting, and was lying there listening to him breathe. And all I could think was that I am so grateful and so lucky and so in love. It is wonderful. And amazing and I am happy.

8 comments:

  1. ooh, but he looks so cute in those shades! he can't possibly be objecting to the shades. perhaps he was farty when you put them on :o) you're in such a good place - sooo happy for you. despite you thinking that he was fussy the other day, i thought mr B was one very mellow little dude. and um, the needle + boob thing just gave me pain in my own boob :o( xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's SOO cute! And I love the shirt. I'm glad everything is going so smoothly for you guys... baby bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it helps, I think it's funny, too!!! :)

    So glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too - I love the sunglasses. It took me a while to realize that it is my baby and therefore she wears whatever I want. I was thinking that I was somehow supposed to figure out what she'd like...

    so good to hear from you and that all is well! (save for the nipple blister that sounds like my definition of hell)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE!!! I'm all for dressing up little kiddies in cute, yet silly, clothes. When else would you do it? Gosh, they're such a blessing. Those days/nights without naps or sleep are definitely challenging and sometimes you can't see the end but when you hear them sleep, it's JUST so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a great post! And what a cutie! I would love to share your success story on my blog! Here's a link to the Q & A format: http://stressfreeinfertilityblog.com/2010/01/17/calling-all-success-stories/
    Thanks so much in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *closes eyes and covers ears for needle + breast part*

    Sounds like you are weathering the little storms, which is awesome. And yes, subjecting helpless infants to undignified costumes is pretty much where it's at. I think my husband wants a child purely to dress him or her as a pumpkin on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that you have returned to napland. I understand the scenery is particularly beautiful when you haven't been there for awhile:)

    Needle + nipples does not sound nice at all, but I'm glad that you're reaching equilibrium and can stave off the reflux.

    Personally, I love the photo:)

    ReplyDelete